Monday, May 6, 2013

RockeyComics' Rant: Dan Slott Vs Spider-Man

(WARNING: SPOILERS! MAJOR SPOILERS!)


You know, I've really tried to like Dan Slott as a writer. During his run with Amazing Spider-Man, I really enjoyed his work on the series. He created interesting story arcs and really helped modernize the Peter Parker we all grew up with and knew very well. And then......Amazing Spider-Man 698 happened.

Now I will admit, I didn't pick up the issue. My friend who owns his own store kept telling me, "Dude, people are saying this is the comic to get right now." Now, may I add, my friend although he owns his own store, has not read a comic book in YEARS. He looks at the cover, the art, but not the story. So all he cared about was the cover. He usually asks me about key story arcs to look for, but I hadn't collected Spider-Man in years. I gave it up. So I passed up.

Well the thing called the internet happened, and leaked pictures about Amazing Spider-Man #700 came up and......"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!" Was my immediate reaction when I saw the photos. Doctor Octopus  one of my LEAST favorite villains (and I don't even read the series) is Spider-Man?! First off Mr. Slott, I know Doctor Octopus is a very well known villain for Spider-Man, but of ALL CHARACTERS YOU CHOSE DOCTOR FREAKING OCTOPUS?! The reasoning has to be golden, because I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense. Oh, and not just any Doctor Octopus. This Doctor Octopus:

No, no, you choose the weak half dead Doctor Octopus to switch Peter Parker's mind into and KILL Peter Parker in that body. Forgot to mention that the genius Dan Slott had, what was good writing and a good plot may I add, I respect that as I am an aspiring writer, switches the minds of Doc Ock and Peter Parker in a grand scheme by Doc Ock. But you know, it's Peter Parker, Spider-Man, no writer would write a comic book that basically has the read watch a lifelong favorite character of millions die in front of us......Damn you Dan Slott.

So Peter dies in 700 and Doc Ock becomes the 'Superior Spider-Man' which spins off into a new series. Well I ended up subscribing to the series, to see how it was, and I loved it! Really loved the series and loved it because Dan Slott made up for it by bringing Peter back (even if it is like a Jedi ghost figure).

But the series went on, and.....yeah I started hating it. Doc Ock as Spider-Man, and him talking like Doc Ock, I kept hearing Doc Ock's voice and accent instead of Christopher Barnes voice (that man was my childhood Spider-Man, deal with it that is the voice I hear when I read Spider-Man!). Oh, and he killed someone. SPIDER-MAN DOESN'T KILL SLOTT!!

And then.......


Yep. Read it. I won't spoil it for you. I will say your hair will be pulled out and you will think about how this man has destroyed this character. Now I do give Dan Slott credit for doing this. No one has the guts to ever pull something like this off. It's not that he killed Peter Parker, Ultimate Comics did so and I still enjoy that series with Miles Morales. It's HOW he did it and WHO replaced him. I am excite to see Miguel O'Hara aka Spider-Man 2099 join the series but.....It may be me, but I feel that Dan Slott either hates Peter Parker, hates Peter Parker, or has some crazy plan for this series that we will praise him later for. Until that crazy plan, if it is real, happens, I will go with he hates Peter Parker.

And I am mad the man didn't respond to my tweet when I tweeted I missed my train to his signing to New York and wished him good luck! I missed my train by 1 minute! That really isn't a big deal but, well, this is a rant after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment