Sunday, April 21, 2013

RockeyComics's Rant: Why the Hell is Nightwing Red?!


When you google "Nightwing", do you want to know what comes up. Nightwing, BUT BLUE!!!! Listen, when I first slowly started coming out of my retirement of collecting comics right around when the New 52 was coming out, I was so excited when I saw that Nightwing was getting back his own monthly series. I was like, "Dude awesome!" 

Now this wasn't because I was against the whole Dick Grayson being Batman ordeal, I digged it for awhile. It just took me awhile to be okay with him being Batman and not Nightwing. He still was my favorite


character, but when I worked at my friends shop and I would talk to customers coming in and they would ask what was my favorite character, I finally got into the habit of saying Batman and not Nightwing. But damnit, I made sure that they knew which Batman I was talking about. But something just felt off and I just knew that Dick Grayson needed to be Nightwing again.

So when I started doing my research, I found the first issue cover of Nightwing......my heart dropped. Like no seriously, DROPPED. HE WAS RED! WHY?! Nightwing has never been red.....wait.... never mind:
He returned to being blue shortly after this!

Okay but still, it just isn't the same! Why couldn't is just look like this, is it so hard!:

Anyways, I did my due dillegence on this matter, and wanted a true answer of why that this iconic character, who has always been blue, is now red. In an interview with Nightwing Writer Kyle Higgins, when asked about Nightwing being red, Higgins answered, "That was actually something that was chosen before I came on the project-- it is part of the new direction though. I mean, Dick's making a lot of changes-- the circus, going back to being Nightwing... to me he just decided to try something different."

Well that works I suppose.....but still it really just isn't the same. I feelthat, personally, they are trying to keep the Bat-Family together by a color that is used in all costumes, aka Red, Between Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, and Batwoman. The only ones who were not Red are Nihgtwing, Batgirl, and of course Batman. SO they decided to make it I guess all congruent with one another(BS if you ask me). With the new art by Breet Booth and his costume drawing of Nightwing looking more like the Pre New 52 Blue Costume....except it is Red, I am hoping the hero Nightwing returns to his true color. NOT. RED.

No comments:

Post a Comment